This carbon filter system is perfect for polishing your moonshine or neutral grain spirits for the ultimate smoothness. And for those wondering, yes, this carbon filter for distilling can be used for water as well! It is actually more effective than a Brita filter, although it can be a bit messier if you aren’t careful!
Using this carbon filter for distilling is simple. First, you need to wash the activated carbon by rinsing it with tap water. With the filter system assembled, clamp 6-8 coffee filters into place at the bottom end of the tube with either a 2-inch hose clamp or your tri-clover clamp and add the washed activated carbon to the tube. Once you are done with your spirit run, cut it down to the desired drinking proof and add it to the funnel at the top. It should run slowly out the bottom, clean and smooth as can be!
To see how to use this system for filtering moonshine, please watch our Carbon Filtering video.
With the tri-clover connection at the bottom of the tube, this can also be clamped to any boiler with a 2″ tri-clover fitting in the lid for easy collection of your finished and polished spirit. Our 3-gallon boilers even come with a valve in the bottom so you can store and dispense your spirit straight from your counter top!
This system for distilling moonshine comes with:
- Large 304 stainless steel funnel/hopper (it also has tabs on it so that it can be used as a big domed lid for any of our boilers)
- 2″ 304 stainless steel tube that is 19 inches long with 2″ tri-clover ferrules welded onto each end (can also double as a 2″ still column extender)
- 2x 2″ stainless steel tri-clover clamps
- 2x 2″ silicone tri-clover gaskets
- 1.5 pounds of Distiller’s Activated Carbon