Continuing the commemoration of Cinco de Mayo and the history of tequila, scientists have tentatively shown some tequila benefits regarding your health. Of course, the old adage “everything in moderation” comes to mind, but nonetheless, natural sugars found in tequila, known as agavins, do have an upside.
As mentioned in the last post, tequila is derived from the blue agave plant, largely grown in Mexico. As long as you are drinking 100% pure agave tequila, the following health perks may benefit you:
1) The “agavina” (natural sugar of the agave plant) boosts insulin production and helps lower blood sugar, especially in diabetics, and may also lower cholesterol.
2) Some studies show that certain components in tequila may help you lose weight. For one thing, mice that were fed agavins produced a hormone enabling them to stay full longer. Also, tequila controls fat absorption in the intestines, preventing that all-too-familiar bloating sensation.
3) Pure tequila doesn’t cause hangovers—only the diluted kind does. As long as you’re consuming a moderate amount of the real stuff, you don’t have to worry about those pesky headaches.
4) In the 1930s, doctors in Mexico used a concoction very similar to a margarita to battle the common cold: imagine that!
5) Tequila dilates blood vessels and allays physical pain in the body.
6) Blue agave’s ability to resist stomach acids aids in delivering medicine to the colon for conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome, Crohn’s disease, and other digestive problems.
7) Agavins may help humans fight osteoporosis if it has the same effect on humans as it does on mice. Mice who consumed agave fructans excreted less calcium in their feces and showed a build-up of new bone tissue.
8) A small amount of tequila will put you to sleep if you’re having trouble resting.
For all the above reasons, it might not be a bad idea to indulge in a little of Mexico’s favorite beverage for your Cinco de Mayo celebration and discover agave tequila health benefits. As always, use discretion when drinking, but feel free to add a little pop to your tequila using Moonshine Distiller’s alcohol flavoring and distilling additives. If you decide to try out a different beverage this May, stop by our online store for your assortment of fermenting tools for sale, for everything from keg cleaners to liquid crystal thermometers.